Alcatraz is an island located in San Francisco, California. It was originally home to a lighthouse and a military facility, but it is most known for being the site of a high-security federal prison from 11 August 1934 through 21 March 1963. Inmates were usually sent there after causing problems in their old jails. Alcatraz has been the home of some notable inmates, including Al Capone and Robert Stroud, a.k.a. "The Birdman of Alcatraz". The former prison is now under the supervision of the National Park Service.
In the light novels, prisons are sent to the "dungeons" (also called the Hole) - that is to say, solitary confinement. They seem to be a mainstay of the institution in the 1934 arc.
In December 1934, Firo Prochainezo is sent to Alcatraz by Victor Talbot in order to report on Huey Laforet's activities in jail. There, Firo meets Ladd Russo and Isaac Dian after the two have also been arrested. They are all released by January of the following year.
During Huey's incarceration, he lives in a special cell made specifically to house him and him alone. The cell is located underneath the solitary confinement area (which is located under the Broadway hallway), and contains only the barest essentials. This cell is not located on any of Alcatraz's blueprints.
Associated Characters Edit
- Warden James Aloysius Johnston
- Warden Johnston is a real person: he was the first warden of the Federal Penitentiary, and served from 1934-1948.
- Misery ("Vice warden's assistant")
- He actually works for the Division of Investigation with Victor Talbot. He was sent to Alcatraz to keep an eye on the immortals)
- Unnamed guard (vessel of Sham)