The eighth light novel of Baccano! is 1934 Alice in Jails: Prison (1934 Alice in Jails: 獄中編 [Gokuchūhen]).
It was published on October 10, 2006 and is 392 pages long.
Firo Prochainezo is incarcerated in Alcatraz by Victor Talbot as a pretense to investigate Huey Laforet. While investigating Huey, Firo becomes acquainted with Dragon, a criminal placed in prison for cannibalism, unexpectedly runs into Isaac Dian, and is introduced to Ladd Russo.
As events unfurl in Alcatraz - including Firo meeting with Huey - an explosion goes off in Victor Talbot's office and Chicago is embroiled in chaos, with reports of kidnappings and explosions occurring all over the city.
- Regarding Firo Prochainezo [Color Insert]
- Regarding Ladd Russo [Color Insert]
- Regarding Huey Laforet [Color Insert]
- Regarding Victor Talbot [Color Insert]
- Epilogue I: At the Information Brokerage
- Prologue I: Camorrista
- Prologue II: Bruiser
- Prologue III: Assassin
- Prologue IV: The Usual
- Chapter 1: Front: Let’s Go to Prison
- Chapter 1: Back: First, Let’s Try Picking a Fight
- Chapter 2: Front: Let’s Savor Supper with a Psycho
- Chapter 2: Back: For Now, Let’s Talk
- Interlude I: In the Darkness
- Chapter 3: Front: Let’s Relish Life in the Hoosegow
- Chapter 3: Back: Let’s Admit Our Mistakes Gracefully
- Chapter 4: Front: Let’s Think Wistfully of the Outside
- Chapter 4: Back: Let’s Discuss, Let’s Do That
- Chapter 5: Front & Back: Let’s Get Out of Jail!
- Linking Chapter: At the Information Brokerage
- Digression: Out of Jail!
- The title of the volume is a reference to the band Alice in Chains.